Looking for the best travel quotes to inspire you? Here are some of my favorite ones to inspire you!
As mentioned, to serve as inspiration for you during these times, here’s a collection of the 100 best travel quotes to get your wanderlust juices flowing. Call me crazy but I’m a sucker for travel quotes. There’s something about them that immediately excites me!
Having traveled the world full-time for the last 5 years, I am amazed at how spot on a lot of these quotes are. Being that we’re HUGE fans of travel and motivating others, we created a few custom travel quote images to inspire you!
If you like any of the images below, feel free to Pin them on Pinterest!
Best Travel Quotes
(Click section to jump to it)
Short Travel Quotes
1.“The gladdest moment in human life is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
2. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee
3. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” -Gustav Flaubert
The second travel quote by Jennifer Lee is one of my all-time favorite sayings. What I love about it is that it applies to everything- not just travel. It tells you to be bold in pursuing your passions and the things you are interested in.
For me, it’s travel. For others, it may be a business venture, a lifestyle change, or even just a big life decision. Whatever you are passionate about, pursue it relentlessly.
Traveling for me puts things into perspective. It allows me to realize that there are far bigger things that my problems. So what if the wifi is slow or if my favorite ramen place is closed. Traveling allows you to see that the world is not always about you. It allows me to see how other people live and what they have to deal with on a daily basis.
Traveling has humbled me and has broadened my perspective in so many ways. Traveling to places like Southeast Asia and other impoverished areas has given me a sense of gratefulness for the modern-day comforts that I am able to enjoy.
4. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
5. “Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times”
6.”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”
When I was a child, I used to read books voraciously. I would read page after page and obsess over faraway lands. Only when I started traveling did I realize what the travel quote “it’s better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.”
As a travel writer, I try my hardest to describe places and destinations of my readers. However, there are just some things and experiences that are too beautiful to put down in words. To me, one of the most beautiful things about travel is the fact that every day is different. There are no routines, no set rules, or no expectations. You can do what you want, whenever you please.
I have been traveling the world together with my partner for over two and a half years now and one of the things we love the most is the freedom that travel and this lifestyle gives us. Travel breaks down routines, monotony and brings back some adventure, excitement, and exploration to people’s lives.
7.“Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.”
8.“All you need to know is that it’s possible.” -Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker
9. “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
Often times, I stop and reflect on how travel has changed my life. During these times, I realize how much travel is a part of me. During my teenage years, I would read books and wonder what it would be like to go to all these exotic places.
I never thought this was possible for me but alas, travel opened up so many doors and opportunities for me that often times, I have to pinch myself. For me, travel is living. It is seizing each day and making the most out of every situation.
For me, travel is experiencing things beyond the usual and is consistently challenging, exciting, and fulfilling. I love the quote “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” by Anna Quindlen because I have reinvented myself so many times.
Teacher, to a principal, to backpacker, to travel blogger, and full-time digital nomad. As cliche as it sounds, you can be anything you want to be as long as you have the courage to pursue it.
10. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
11. “The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.” -Wallace Stevens
12. “Work, Travel, Save, Repeat”
Coming from the Philippines, saving enough money to be able to do a round the world trip was not easy. I hustled…and I hustled hard. Unlike most first world countries, you can get a part-time job during your university years to help build up your savings.
In the Philippines, as minimum wage is low, you virtually have to work multiple jobs in order to make enough to save which is exactly what I did. I was a teacher at that time and worked from 7 am-3 pm. Afterwards, I would do private tutorials and work for another 4-5 hours.
At one point, I was earning more from doing extra tutorial work than my job itself. My point behind this is while it seems that all I do now is travel, the quote work, travel, save, repeat is a favorite of mine.
Although I no longer work a 9-5 job, we still apply this theory as we save up for specific trips and holidays along the way.
13. “The journey not the arrival matters.” –T.S. Eliot
14.”Life is short and the world is wide”
15. “Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted.”
One of our biggest lessons when it comes to traveling the world full-time is that you DON’T need material things as much as you think you do. When we first left to travel, both my partner and I had huge backpacks filled with unnecessary things.
Now, we both just travel with a carry-on and keep our worldly possessions to a minimum. Travel makes things simpler and has made us realize that material things no longer make us happy. Instead, we choose to spend our money on experiences.
This is why I love the quote by Antoine de St. Exupery (the same author who wrote The Little Prince). It’s just a short travel quote that reminds me to travel light and that joy cannot be physically found in material possessions.
16. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca
17. “He who would travel happily must travel light.” -Antoine de St. Exupery
18. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
The quote above is one of my favorite sayings of all time. If there is one thing I know, it is that life is short. We keep saying one day I will travel the world. One day, I will learn how to speak a new language. Guess what folks? Life is short and time will creep up on you.
We don’t even have the certainty that we will live until we are old. So ultimately, if your goal in life is to be happy, then why not pursue the things that do make you happy?
I know this is easier said than done as many of us have obligations and responsibilities but I am one of those people that believe that if you want something bad enough, there is a way to achieve it.
Life is not about making money. Yes, money makes things a heck of a lot more comfortable but are you really willing to sacrifice years and years of your life doing something you hate? So either find a job that you love or find a passion that your job can fuel.
Banking on making enough money so that one day you can pursue what you love isn’t a guarantee. As harsh as this comes across, really take the time to take a look at your life and what you want out of it. I’m not saying everyone should just go quit their jobs and go travel.
No way. I know this life isn’t for everyone but if there is something you’ve been wanting to do but are just too scared to try, then now is the time to pursue it.
19. No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
20. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” -Jack Kerouac
Famous Travel Quotes
21. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” -Helen Keller
This famous travel quote by Helen Keller has been immortalized in so many sayings and articles but nevertheless, it’s message still holds true. Life IS our biggest adventure and if this is truly the case, are you doing everything that you can to actually live it?
There are so many people who get consumed by the everyday motions of life, forgetting that each moment should be cherished and that each moment should be appreciated.
No matter what circumstance you’re in, try to make the best out of every situation. Trust me, changing your perspective and the way you view things will make all the difference.
22. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” -Henry Miller
23. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” -James Michener
24. “Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure.”
The quote by James Michener “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” is something I strongly feel about.
I feel like the whole point of traveling is to broaden your horizon and to get to know what’s around you. Step out of the box and open yourself up to other cultures, traditions, and religions.
I can’t count the number of times I forced myself to try out exotic dishes even if they grossed me out. 3 out of 10, I wouldn’t eat again but at least I tried anyways. In Indonesia, we were invited by a local to his home for some dinner.
The only food he and his family had was some rice and sambal (heaps of homemade chili). Even if my mouth was burning, I finished my plate because who was I to refuse the kindness that someone who opened up his home to us?
I must have finished a pitcher of water but I was still grateful for the chance to get to know him and his family.
25. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” -Martin Buber
26. ” Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.” – Thomas Fuller
27. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” -Agustine of Hippo
28. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” -Bill Bryson
29. “Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
The famous quote by J.R.R Tolkien is something I strongly resonate with. In the last few years of our nomadic travel journey, so many people always assume that we are feeling lost because we choose to live our life with no permanent base.
Although we don’t have a house, everywhere we go to, we make a home. We leave a little slice of our hearts in every place we visit and make deeper connections with people we meet on the road that most people make in a lifetime.
It just so happen that we choose to live life wandering as for us, it keeps us excited, keeps us grounded, and reminds us that compassion and kindness is not gone from this world.
30. “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” -Lawrence Block
31. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
32. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comforts of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things. -air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky. -all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
I love the quote above by Cesare Pavese. Having been on the road for the last four years, he nailed it spot on. Nothing is certain. Nothing is set in stone.
Friends come and go, transportation breaks down, technology fails us yet at the end of the day, no matter how shitty your day has been, learn how to appreciate the little things in life like sunsets, the sound of the ocean, or a gentle breeze reminding you that you are lucky to be alive.
The one by Lawrence Block, on the other hand, speaks about the spontaneity of travel and how we should be open to these things. My partner and I have completely different travel styles. He is a more spontaneous traveler who doesn’t like to plan anything.
As you can imagine, this drives me nuts at times as I like knowing whether or not I have a place to sleep tonight. After traveling together for almost three years, we’ve compromised on this, meeting halfway in the middle.
33. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.” -Irving Wallace
34.”What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” -William Least Heat Moon
35.“We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.”-Anaïs Nin
After 4+ years of roaming around the world, we realized that sometimes, the journey to a place counts more than the place itself. Travel is about transformation and growth and the journey on how you get there is part of the entire experience.
So while it’s easy to plan out entire trips, it’s also good to go with the flow once in a while and leave room for spontaneity and surprises.
Usually, the experiences that are most meaningful are those that you don’t plan for. Interacting with locals, making new friends, or even getting lost. These are now things that I live for and love the most about traveling
36. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” -Lao Tzu
37. “Life is a journey. Make the best of it.”
38. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
39. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”- Mark Twain
40. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”
After traveling the world (and spending a lot of money in the process), we realized that no amount of money will ever match the amazing experiences we’ve had.
We’ve camped in barren deserts, driven across countries, explored islands by sailboat, and even lived with fishermen. My point is, things will be things but experiences will last you a lifetime!
Although we don’t own a house, a car, or any of those things that society considers important, for us, having the freedom to experience life and other cultures is what makes us rich.
41. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” -Tim Cahill
42. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
43. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” -Benjamin Disraeli
44. “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.” -Suzanne Collins
45. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.”― Jack Kerouac
Have you ever wanted to do something but keep putting it off until you find the perfect time? We’re big believers in pursuing your passion and this means going out of your comfort zone and pushing boundaries. If you want it bad enough, there will always be a way to get it done.
I love this quote by Jack Kerouac as it constantly reminds me that life is short and that we need to actively pursue the things that we want. There is no sadder thing than hearing someone say “someday I will…”
Do things now. Climb that mountain. Book that trip. Make time for your loved ones because someday isn’t a guarantee.
46. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” -Aldous Huxley
47. “Blessed are the curious for they will have adventures.”
48. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman
49. “You can shake the sand from your shoes, but it will never leave your soul.”
50. “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.”
Have you ever dreamed and wanted something so bad and yet you constantly find yourself “frozen”, unable to pursue the things that you really want? Sometimes, we live life in fear and subconsciously settle.
There is no such thing as dreaming too big. I learned this firsthand when I slowly started to courageously pursue what I really wanted out of life. For me, it was to be able to travel and work at the same time.
Now, I can honestly say that I am living my dream life…but guess what? It didn’t really happen overnight. It took years of hard work, determination, and risks.
Inspiring Travel Quotes and Quotes about Adventures
51.“Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.” -Alan Keightley
52. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
53. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”― Mark Twain
This quote by Mark Twain is one that has made such a huge impact in my life. The words you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do is so powerful, really making you think.
For me, every time I am faced with a choice, I remind myself that if I don’t take a risk, I might, later on, regret it. With that in mind, I remind myself to try everything at least once, to do things that scare me and put me out of my comfort zone.
Because in the end, I would rather look back at my life and realize that although I may have failed at a lot of things, at least I still tried and took a chance.
54.“Take only memories, leave only footprints.” -Chief Seattle
55. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.”
56. “Oh the places you’ll go.” -Dr. Seuss
57. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart!” -Confucius
58. “Don’t call it a dream…call it a plan”
59. “A great way to learn about your country is to leave it.” -Henry Rollins
60. “Then I realized adventures are the best way to learn.”
Coming from the Philippines, traveling has made me realize that it is really people that make a country, not the other way around which is why I love the quote about Henry Rollins. Although we have a lot of messed up things about our country, the people are indeed some of the kindest and most welcoming people that we’ve met.
All over the world, meeting a fellow Filipino makes me smile as it reminds me that hospitality is a fantastic virtue and that kindness, no matter what social status you belong in is something that should always be extended.
Traveling to other countries also gives me a deeper appreciation towards my home and everything that it can offer.
61. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
62. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well. ” – Eugene Fodor
This particular quote strikes a cord with me as many people usually assume that traveling is only for the rich. To date, some of the best experiences we’ve had was when we’ve stayed with locals, camped in islands, or even slept in people’s couches.
These everyday situations keep us grounded and remind us that traveling is going beyond fancy resorts but is rather all about experiencing the local life and culture around you.
Traveling well means learning from your surroundings, being kind to others, and more importantly, being open to every opportunity and experience.
63. “I love the feeling of being anonymous in a city I’ve never been before.”
64. “Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag” -Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
65. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
66. “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.” -Susan Heller
67. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
68. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.” – Paolo Coelho
69. “Conventional wisdom tells us… we take our baggage with us. I’m not so sure. Travel, at its best, transforms us in ways that aren’t always apparent until we’re back home. Sometimes we do leave our baggage behind, or, even better, it’s misrouted to Cleveland and is never heard from again.” -Eric Weiner
70. “The goal is to die with memories not dreams”
71. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” -Robert Frost
Taking the road less traveled is often hard. There is no clear path towards where you are heading, but those that do take it, know that it will be far more rewarding than just following the rest of the crowd.
Growing up, I was expected to go to school graduate college, get a job, get married, have kids. Instead, I choose to follow out my dreams, pursue the unfamiliar, and create a life that I wanted to live.
Best Traveling Quotes to Inspire You
72. “There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.” – Jack Kerouac
73. “Live your life by a compass, not a clock.” -Stephen Covey
74. “ With the right mindset and spirit, only the sky is the limit”
75. “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrate it for everything that it is.” -Mandy Hale
76. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
That quote by the late Anthony Bourdain is STILL one of my favorites ever. It sparks such a powerful message which relays that for the most part, adventure and travel is always worth it.
That world knowledge and life experiences from different cultures is really one of the best ways to grow as a person. So many people think they know the world but are only really just seeing it from their TV screens.
In the end, you realize that there is more good than bad in this world and that respecting other cultures comes from experiencing and understanding where they come from and their way of life.
77. “Everything you do is based on the choices you make”- Wayne Dyer
78. “There’s no way I was born to just pay bills and die”
79. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” -Paul Theroux
80. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” -Mark Jenkins
81. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
To be perfectly honest, when I first left to travel, I thought I knew what the world was like. I had presumptions about certain cultures and made generalizations.
It was only when I truly started immersing myself in people’s way of life did I understand what it really meant to travel. Traveling isn’t sitting in a resort lounging by the pool. It is experiencing new food, immersing yourself in their way of life, and really taking the time to reflect on this.
These experiences and reflections are what changes you for the good and is what inspires you to keep traveling and keep pursuing the unknown.
82. “At its best, travel should challenge our preconceptions and most cherished views, cause us to rethink our assumptions, shake us a bit, make us broader minded and more understanding.” –Arthur Frommer
83. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself” -David Mitchell
84. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
85. “It feels good to be in the right direction.”
86. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
87.“A ship in a harbor is safe, but it not what ships are build for.” -John A. Shedd
88. I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” -Robert Louis Stevenson
Similar to the other travel quotes in this article, the quote below is one of our favorites as it reminds us to be cautious of how we travel. Over the last few years, we’ve committed towards traveling more sustainably, aware that we all need to do our part to help the earth.
Often times, we take the beauty of the earth for granted and refuse to change our ways simply because it isn’t convenient. Whether it is refusing plastic bags in shops or even something minute as bringing your own cups, these small changes can help make a bigger impact…if only everyone did it.
Quotes About Traveling
89. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
91. “Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.” – Karen Gibbs92. “I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.” -Oscar Wilde
93. “Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.” -Izaak Walton
94. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” -Oscar Wilde
95. Life is a journey, not a destination.”
96. “I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations.” – Nyssa P. Chopra
97. ” Veni, Vini, Amavi. We came, we saw, we loved.
98.”People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.” –Edmund Hillary
99. ” “Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return.”
100. ” I’ll look back on this and smile because it was life and I decided to live it”
Hopefully, these travel quotes have given you some inspiration to travel the world and keep exploring this big beautiful world that we live in.
Travel has changed my life and I am excited for it to change yours. Remember, you don’t have to go away to some far-flung country. You can spend years exploring your own country and come back with a different experience each time. So, what are you waiting for?