Looking for some inspiration? Here’s my personal collection of the best mountain quotes to inspire you.
There is something humbling about mountains. Maybe it’s their tall and grandiose appearance or the initial intimidation when you cast your eyes on it. But ultimately, the most humbling part is the sense of accomplishment that you get after climbing one.
The feeling of achievement, appreciation for the journey, and the chance to be outdoors. In no particular order, here’s a list of the best mountain quotes to hopefully inspire you to seize your days and lead a life of adventure.
If you like these quotes, feel free to pin them on Pinterest and share them around! If you like this article, also check out our article on the Best Adventure Quotes.
1. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” -Greg Child
2. Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.” -Dag Hammerskjold
3. “Go where you feel most alive.”
Growing up, I’ve always preferred beaches over mountains, however every time I am surrounded by hightop trees and towering boulders, it has such a powerful effect on me. Whenever I am hiking in nature, I feel so much more connected to the world around me!
I love the quote below by Mark Obmascik- mountains really do have a way of making our problems seem insignificant. Have you ever felt this before?
Editor’s Note: Want to see the Google Stories version of the best mountain quotes?
4. “I like the mountains because they make me feel small,’ Jeff says. ‘They help me sort out what’s important in life.”― Mark Obmascik
5. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” ― Friedrich Neitszche
6. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
Every so often, my partner and I would often just pack our bags and head to a nearby mountain to hike. Being that we work online, we’re conscious about taking a break from technology and going on social media detoxes.
For us, not only does it keep us grounded but it also helps us keep a great balance! When it’s time for a detox, we usually plan a hike or just hop on our motorbikes and drive somewhere where we rent a small hut with a hammock and spend all day reading. It’s blissful!
7. “The way up to the top of the mountain is always longer than you think. Don’t fool yourself, the moment will arrive when what seemed so near is still very far.” — Paulo Coelho
8. “Mountains are only a problem when they are bigger than you. You should develop yourself so much that you become bigger than the mountains you face.”
― Idowu Koyenikan
9. “Hike more. Worry Less.”
Editor’s Note: Like these quotes? Check out our other article featuring 100 of the adventure travel quotes
10. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ― David McCullough Jr.
11. The top of one mountain is always the bottom of another. Marianne Williamson
12. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” – T.S. Eliot
The quote below by Sir Edmund Hillary is so powerful-especially in the mountaineering community. A couple of months ago, we decided to hike up to Everest Base Camp. While what we did does not compare to those climbers that opt to the summit, I can only imagine what they went through as they faced the cold and altitude.
13. “Human life is far more important than just getting to the top of a mountain.” – Edmund Hillary
14. “I’ve realized that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.” – Andrew Garfield
15. “The best view comes after the hardest climb.”
As mentioned above, one of the best mountain treks we’ve done was when we did Everest Basecamp. It took a total of 14 days and was one of the hardest treks I’ve ever done. The mountain itself wasn’t steep but it was mainly the altitude that I battled with.
Through it all though, I will never forget the feeling of reaching Basecamp. After days and days of walking in the bitter cold, the views up there was worth every step and every cold night that we had to endure. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!
16. “If adventure has a final and all-embracing motive, it is surely this: we go out because it is our nature to go out, to climb mountains, and to paddle rivers, to fly to the planets and plunge into the depths of the oceans… When man ceases to do these things, he is no longer man.” – Wilfrid Noyce
17. “If you are faced with a mountain, you have several options. You can climb it and cross to the other side. You can go around it. You can dig under it. You can fly over it. You can blow it up. You can ignore it and pretend it’s not there. You can turn around and go back the way you came. Or you can stay on the mountain and make it your home.”— Vera Nazarian
18. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Finlay
19. “The cliche is that life is a mountain. You go up, reach the top and then go down.” – Jeanne Moreau
20. “Every man should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life.” – Werner Herzog
21. “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.” -John Muir
22. “The mountains were his masters. They rimmed in life. They were the cup of reality, beyond growth, beyond struggle and death. They were his absolute unity in the midst of eternal change.” ― Thomas Wolfe
23. “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” -Harley King
24. “How wild it was, to let it be.” – Cheryl Strayed
The popular book by Wild by Cheryl Strayed is a great book on human effort, determination, and love for the outdoors. It was such a fantastic read and is one of my favorite mountain quotes ever!
25. “You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen.” – Rene Daumal
26. “Everybody wants to reach the peak, but there is no growth on the top of a mountain. It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life’s next peak.” -Andy Andrews
27. “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books.” – John Lubbock
28. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet; This is not done by jostling in the street.” -William Blake
29. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” -Greg Child
30. “I go to seek a great perhaphs” – John Green
31. “Success comes to those who have an entire mountain of gold that they continually mine, not those who find one nugget and try to live on it for fifty years.” – John C. Maxwell
32. “Stop staring at mountains. Climb them instead, yes, it’s a harder process but it will lead you to a better view.”
33. “There are far better things ahead than the ones we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis
34.‘’The most dangerous thing you can do in life is play it safe.’’ – Casey Neistat
35. “Nature is one of the most underutilized treasures in life. It has the power to unburden hearts and reconnect to that inner place of peace.” -Janice Anderson
36. All good things are wild and free.
Before I quit my job to travel the world (and later on pursue blogging), I was a teacher and Dr. Seuss was a staple in my classroom!
Although his books are written with kids in mind, I love all of them and always get pretty valuable lessons. This quote below is a particular favorite and is just a reminder that anything is possible once you put your mind to it.
37. “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so… get on your way!” -Dr. Seuss
38. “Mountains are only a problem when they are bigger than you. You should develop yourself so much that you become bigger than the mountains you face.” – Idowu Koyenikan
39. “Coffee, Mountains, Adventure”
40. “Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.”
41.“The farthest mountain is the one you think you can never reach and it may even be just by the side of you!” -Mehmet Murat ildan
42. “Although I deeply love oceans, deserts, and other wild landscapes, it is only mountains that beckon me with that sort of painful magnetic pull to walk deeper and deeper into their beauty.” – Victoria Erikson
43.“Without mountains, we might find ourselves relieved that we can avoid the pain of the ascent, but we will forever miss the thrill of the summit. And in such a terribly scandalous trade-off, it is the absence of pain that becomes the thief of life.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
44. Mountains are the beginning and the end of all natural scenery. John Ruskin
45. “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
Do you want to get paid to travel? Join our FREE masterclass training where we will tell you exactly how we me make a full time income from travel blogging!
Hopefully, these mountain quotes have inspired you to conquer your own mountains, seize the day, and make the most out of every experience.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out a few of our most read articles geared to get you inspired and going
Inspired? Pin it!