Are you looking for inspiring solo travel quotes to help you get started on your journey?
In this article, I present to you 51 of my favorite solo travel quotes…the same solo travel quotes which inspired me to quit my job and travel the world by myself back in 2014.
Since then, my life has been an incredible adventure!
Traveling by myself has allowed me to grow, learn, and really find myself and it is something that I highly recommend to everyone.
Ready to get inspired for your own solo adventure? Keep reading below!
As always, if you find any of these solo travel quotes inspiring, feel free to Pin them on Pinterest by hovering on the upper right hand corner.
Short and Sweet Sweet Solo Travel Quotes
When I first left to travel, I read books, blog posts, and read a collection of travel quotes just like this one. However, it wasn’t until I finished my journey did I truly understand really how true these quotes and sayings were.
1. “I am never happier than when I am alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
2. “Some journeys can be only traveled alone.”–Kein Poirot
4. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” –David Mitchell
5. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” –John Mayer
6. “You have to get lost before you can be found” – Jeff Rasley
I love this particular quote by Jeff Rasley as it talks about finding yourself in travel. Before I left on my big solo trip, I was defined by where I came from, how I grew up, and the experiences that I have had so far. However, it was only when I stepped out of my comfort zone did I actually discover who I really am.
I know that as I grow and experience more of this world, who I am will continually evolve and grow as well.
7. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
8. “Traveling solo means getting to know the real you!”–Unknown
9. “Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
Admittedly, one of my biggest fears when I first left for my solo trip was getting lost! Being someone that is horrible with directions, this was something that I was genuinely worried about. However, after traveling the world (twice over), I realized that there is absolutely nothing wrong about getting lost.
In fact, for the most part, these moments are the one that brings about genuine interactions with locals and the best travel experiences!
Meaningful Solo Travel Quotes
Looking for meaningful solo travel quotes? Here are some of my favorite meaningful quotes about solo travel and how it has the ability to alter your path.
No matter how long you travel for, whether for a week or a year, solo travel has the ability to make a huge impact in your personal values and can shape you into a better person. You should never let the fear of the unknown stop you from living your life.
10. “A traveler should be happy, not perfect!” –Unknown
11. “A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
12. “You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!”–Unknown
14. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of other’s expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
15. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life changing experience of your life. Try it at least once.”–Unknown
16. “It is pointless to embark on any journey if you do not believe yourself worthy of the destination.” – Anthon St. Maarten
17. “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others, because only you can see it.” – Nitin Namdeo
18.“Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” –Marty Rubin
The quote by Namdeo is so powerful because it speaks about taking ownership of your life. You never have to justify traveling on your own or why you need to travel. At the end of the day, life is too short to not be doing what you want!
Solo Travel Quotes About Meeting People
One of the BEST things about solo travel is the fact that you are actually never truly alone. Throughout your journey you will meet a ton of people who you will end up traveling and sharing experiences with. Traveling throughout Southeast Asia gave me that experience.
Ironically, during my year long trip, I never actually felt lonely as I would always meet new friends along the way.
19. “Don’t Cry Because It’s Over, Smile Because It Happened” – Dr Seuss
21. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
24. “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.”– Maxwell Maltz
We've scoured the internet for the best ALL-AROUND travel shoe and Tropicfeel wins by far. We've taken ours through rivers, jungles, and cities and they're still alive and kickin'. Check them out below.
Quotes for Solo Travelers Who Are Afraid
If you’re one of those people who is waiting for someone to travel with you, my suggestion is to go now. There will never be a perfect timing, perfect travel companion or perfect journey. Although the first step seems scary at first, as soon as you take it, the world will open up so many incredible opportunities for you.
25. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you” – Caroline Myss
27. “Waiting for the perfect moment to travel? It is here right now!” –Unknown
29. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
30. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
Life Changing Quotes about Solo Travel
Because I had the courage and took the leap to travel solo, my life has infinitely changed. Thanks to my trip solo traveling, I met the love of my life, have set up two businesses, and have found tremendous ways to grow as a person.
Because ultimately, if you let it, travel has the opportunity to change your life for the better! Often times, we let the fear of the unknown stop us from having life changing experiences. As the saying goes, leap and the net will appear. When it comes to traveling by yourself, the same applies!
33. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
34. “The journey of life is amazingly beautiful if you take it as a fearless adventure.” – Debasish Mridh
35. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
36. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. – Freya Stark
Solo Journey Quotes
Personally, I am a lover of quotes. I love reading different perspectives about ones journey. The quotes below specifically outline the different changes that you can experience when you go on a solo journey. For me, the quote below by Gustav Flaubert is one of my all time favorites as it shows everything that I love about traveling.
Traveling for me humbles me and really opens my eyes to different experiences and cultures. In the last 6 years, I have traveled all over the world and have learned so much about myself and others in the process.
38. “I learned my strengths and my weaknesses. I experienced the exhilaration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself” – Ann Stirk
39. “As you travel solo, being totally responsible for yourself, it’s inevitable that you will discover just how capable you are!” –Unknown
40. “Life is a journey with almost limitless detours.” – Ken Poirot
41. “Open your heart to the world. It’ll dazzle you in ways you never thought possible.” – Unknown
42. “The journey of life is amazingly beautiful if you take it as a fearless adventure.” – Debasish Mridha
43. “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
44. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
45. “I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone.” – Daphne Du Maurier
Oftentimes, when you travel with others, you don’t get to enjoy and really experience the beauty of a destination. I find that during the times when I travel alone, it is then when I seek out local interaction, it is then when I am forced to enjoy the moment, the silence, and the stillness that comes with being alone.
Motivational Solo Travel Quotes for Trip Planning
The quote below is a favorite of mine as it gives people encouragement that opportunities and new paths won’t come to you if you stick to the norm. One of the best feelings in the world is going out of your comfort zone and the willing to open yourself up to new experiences.
46. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
47. “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others, because only you can see it.” – Nitin Namdeo
48. “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
49. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
50. “If you never go, you will never know!” –Unknown
51. “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.” – Freya Stark
There you have it!
Hopefully, this set of solo travel quotes inspired you to go take that big leap. Traveling by yourself is something you will never regret and will open up so many incredible experiences and opportunities for you.
If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our list of other quotes.
Inspired? Pin it!