Are you looking for some of the best outdoor quotes for inspiration?
In this article, I’m sharing with you 54 of my all-time favorite outdoor quotes. Being someone who works online, I constantly have to remind myself to take a break and step outside. Every time I do, I instantly feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
Whether you’re dreaming of hiking, a trip to the beach, or even just on a quick walk in the woods nearby, hopefully, these quotes can encourage and motivate you to spend more time in the great outdoors.
As always, if you find any of these outdoor quotes inspiring, feel free to Pin them on Pinterest by hovering on the upper right hand corner.
Outdoor Adventure Quotes
Spending time adventuring outdoors is one best things about being a full-time traveler. Every chance we get, we make sure that we plan to spend time exploring and being around nature. Even when we are in big cities, we make it a point to plan outdoor excursions.
In this section of the article, I will share with you some of my favorite outdoor adventure quotes that will hopefully inspire you to to plan your next adventure.
1. “At some point in life the world’s beauty becomes enough. You don’t need to photograph, paint, or even remember it. It is enough.” – Toni Morrison
2. “Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
3. “Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The quote above is one of my favorite Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes! I love the instant feeling of freedom and inspiration as soon as I read it!
4. “Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
5. “The antidote to exhaustion isn’t rest. It’s nature.” – Shikoba
6. “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” – John Muir
The quote above by Muir couldn’t be truer! Sometimes, the fast paced lifestyle and the hustle and bustle of working can get to the best of us. Whenever I find myself on the brink of a burnout, I immediately pack a bag and go for a long hike or a quick weekend trip. Time spent in nature, unplugged from social media is so special to me and is great for the soul!
7. “Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.” – Ashley Smith
8. “Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9.“In all things of nature there is something of the marvellous.” – Aristotle
Outdoor Quotes about Hiking
Personally, when I first started traveling, I did not consider myself as a hiker. I enjoyed spending time in nature but have never done long trails. It wasn’t until I met my partner Tom did I truly start to fall in love with hiking. Since then, we’ve gone on treks in the Amazon rainforest, Sumatra, and even Everest Basecamp in Nepal. Here are some of my favorite hiking quotes.
10. “Hiking’s not for everyone. Notice the wilderness is mostly empty.” – Sonja Yoerg
11. “All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
12. “Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot.” – Diane Spicer
13. “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” – G.M. Trevelyan
14. Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take.” – Anonymous
15. “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” – Jennifer Pharr Davis
16. “Days of slow walking are very long: they make you live longer, because you have allowed every hour, every minute, every second to breathe, to deepen, instead of filling them up by straining the joints.” – Frederic Gros
17. “Walking is a man’s best medicine.” – Hippocrates
18. “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old. We grow old because we stop hiking.” – Finis Mitchell
Outdoor Quotes About Nature
Being outdoors and spending time with nature is actually scientifically proven to be good for you. This is why we try to spend as much time as we can outdoors. Whenever I feel tired, depressed, or even just a little bit stressed out, I make it a point to go for a walk and just unplug.
These outdoor quotes below are perfect examples of how nature can bring happiness into your life!
19. “In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
20. “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy.” Isaac Newton
21. “Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.” – Charles Lindbergh
22. “There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story.” – –Linda Hogan
23. “In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.” – Anne Frank
25. “Colors are the smiles of nature.” – Leigh Hunt
26. “The poetry of the earth is never dead.” – John Keats
27. “A bad day camping is still better than a good day working.” – Unknown
28. “The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.” – Unknown
29. “Days of slow walking are very long: they make you live longer, because you have allowed every hour, every minute, every second to breathe, to deepen, instead of filling them up by straining the joints.” – Frederic Gros
30. “If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
We've scoured the internet for the best ALL-AROUND travel shoe and Tropicfeel wins by far. We've taken ours through rivers, jungles, and cities and they're still alive and kickin'. Check them out below.
Outdoor Quotes for Instagram
Especially during times like this when travel is limited because of Covid-19, Instagram can be an awesome resource for inspsiration for the great outdoors. Here’s a collection of outdoor quotes that you can use on Instagram to caption your favorite nature snap.
31. “The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” – Henry Longfellow
32. “As human beings, we have an innate need to explore, to see what’s around the corner.” – Jimmy Chin
33. “And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” – John Muir
34. “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” – Cindy Ross
35. “The antidote to exhaustion isn’t rest. It’s nature.” – Shikoba
36. “The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.” – JRR Tolkien
37. “I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.” – Henry David Thoreau
38. “I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” –John Burroughs
39. “All good things are wild and free.” – Unknown
Outdoor Quotes for Inspiration
Last but not least, if you’re looking for some plain old inspiration, here are a few of my top picks for outdoor quotes that are meant to just inspire you. The quote by Chris Mccandles (aka. Alexander Supertramp) is a favorite of mine based on the movie Into the Wild. It’s a quote that really speaks to me and sums up how I feel about traveling and exploring new places.
40.“Anywhere is within walking distance.” – Anonymous
41.“The Earth has music for those who listen.” – William Shakespeare
42.“The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” – Alexander Supertramp Mccandless
43.“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” – John Muir
44.“To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves Mahatma Gandhi
45.“I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
46.“I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day’s work.” –Frank Lloyd Wright
47. “Come forth into the light things, let nature be your teacher.” –William Wordsworth
48. “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
49. The desert wears… a veil of mystery. Motionless and silent, it evokes in us an elusive hint of something unknown, unknowable, about to be revealed. Since the desert does not act, it seems to be waiting — but waiting for what? – Edward Abbey
50. Wander without reason or purpose – Unknown
51. “Live the life you’ve dreamed.” – Henry David Thoreau
52. Keep your face always toward sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. – Walt Whitman
53. The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have. – Anna Quindlen
54.“The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.” – Nancy Newhall
Hopefully, you enjoyed this article about the best outdoor travel quotes as much as I enjoyed compiling them. At the end of the day, I am a big believer that time spent outdoors is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
As always, if you enjoyed this post, please feel free to pin any of the images!
If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our list of other quotes.
- Best Travel Quotes
- Best Mountain Quotes
- Best Adventure Quotes
- Best Solo Travel Quotes
- Best Beach Quotes