Home to incredible surfing, many exotic and uninhabited islands, a vibrant marine life, and an incredible variety of things to do, Indonesia is slowly becoming one of my favorite countries to visit. After spending three months traveling around the country a couple of years ago, we decided that three months was nowhere near to really discovering this awesome country. So in a few weeks time, we are Indonesia bound (again), vowing to discover more remote islands and surf more of their gnarly waves. So to those planning a visit to Indonesia, here’s a bucket list full of MUST do activities during your trip!
Editor’s Note: Download a FREE copy of the Indonesia bucket list at the bottom of this post!
- Bucket List: Things to Do in Bali
- Bucket List: Things to do in Lombok & Lesser Sunda
- Bucket List: Things to do in Java
- Bucket List: Things to do in Sumatra and Other Islands
- Get Our Full Indonesia Adventure Guide
Bucket List: Things to Do in Bali
Bali is one of the most frequented places in Indonesia. Despite its popularity, we personally still love going to this place (we tend to skip busy places like Kuta) and opt to explore a few of the quieter places along the coast. Despite its obvious popularity, Bali is filled to the brim with awesome things to do. From exploring its rich marine underwater world in the North, to the hippie-filled vibes of Ubud, you could easily spend a few weeks traveling around this area.
- Ride the awesome lefts as you go surfing in Medewi
- Walk through the Campuhan Ridge in Ubud
- Sunset at Old Man’s Bar in Canggu
- Explore the Tulamben Wreck Dive (WWII shipwreck)
- Go white water rafting in Ubud
- Visit the sacred monkey forest
- Climb Mt. Batur during sunrise
- Spend a day pimping it out in a Balinese Villa (Villas in Bali under $100)
- Get your ohm on as you take yoga classes in Canggu or Ubud
Need more ideas? Check out these things to do in Bali article for more inspiration
Resources for Where to Stay in Bali
Bucket List: Things to do in Lombok & Lesser Sunda
While it seems terribly out of the way, exploring the stunning coastline of Lombok and the islands within Komodo National Park is a highlight of any trip to Indonesia. We spent a good amount of time here and it was definitely something we highly recommend to everyone.
- Go scuba diving in the Komodo National Park
- Take a hike around Rinca islands to see the Komodo Dragons
- Go on a 4-day boat ride from Lombok to Flores
- Explore the awesome island of Adventurous things to do in Lombok
- Get PADI certified in the Gili Trawangan
- Visit the Kelimutu Lakes in Flores
- Scale up the steep hike up to Mt. Rinjani to witness the sunrise
- Climb up the view point in the islands in the Komodo National Park (Padar Island)
- Swim with Manta Rays by Manta Alley
- Swim around the Pink beach
- Explore the underwater marine life through a liveaboard in Komodo
Resources for Where to Stay
Bucket List: Things to do in Java
The islands of Java is a place that is alluring beyond words. Filled with temples, volcanoes, and other rugged attractions, our time here was one of my personal favorites, even if involved a lot of sleepless nights and early morning trekking. While it was tiring and hectic, seeing these incredible natural wonders were once in a lifetime moments which we enjoyed doing.
- Witness the magical sunrise by Mt. Bromo
- See the Blue Flames in Kawah Ijen
- Visit the beaches of Karimunjawa
- Watch the sunrise by the Borobudur Temples
- Walk around the Candi Prambanan Temples
- Visit the highlights at the Dieng Plateau
- Walk around the town of Cemoro Lawang
- Go surfing on a long board in Batu Karas
- See the Green Canyon in Pangandaran
Bucket List: Things to do in Sumatra and Other Islands
While I am definitely more of a beach person, our time in Sumatra, Indonesia was beyond awesome! It was really back to basics as we went on a 4-day trek deep in the jungle. Not only were we lulled to sleep each night by the sounds of the jungle, seeing the wild animals in their element was nothing short of amazing. Aside from the incredible wildlife, Sumatra is also home to some of Indonesia’s most beautiful beaches and remote islands!
- Go Trekking in Sumatra to see the Orangutans
- Spend a few days chilling in Lake Toba
- Visit the remote islands of Raja Islands
- Spend a few days in a liveaboard in Raja Ampat
- Explore the town of Berestagi
- Pay a visit to the Banyak Islands
- Go Scuba diving in Pulau Weh, home to some of the best dive spots in Indonesia
Resources for Where to Stay in Sumatra
Get Our Full Indonesia Adventure Guide
While these experiences are only the tip of the iceberg, these are a few of the MUST do items while in the land of gods. If you’re looking for more information to help you plan your trip to Indonesia, don’t forget to check out our Indonesia Adventure Travel Guide which has all the information on the best things to see, what to eat, and even sample itineraries to help you make the most out of your time there.