Looking for some quotes about Greece to get you inspired? I’ve done all the heavy lifting for you, compiling all my favorite quotes about Greece.
Located in the Aegean and Ionian seas, Greece is a country that absolutely captured my heart the minute I set foot in its beautiful shores. Between its ancient cities which are overflowing with history and its many stunning yet rugged islands, it is a country that is a must-visit when heading to Europe.
In this article, I bring to you different quotes about Greece from famous philosophers, writers, poets, or plain people just like me who just fell in love with the culture, the food (oh my god, the food!), and it’s beautiful scenery.
If you like any of the images below, feel free to Pin them on Pinterest!
Best Quotes about Greece
(Click section to jump to it)
- Quotes About Greece
- Funny Quotes About Greece
- Nikos Kazantzakis Quotes About Greece
- Greek Philosopher’s Quotes
- Quotes and Captions About Santorini
Quotes About Greece
In this section of the article, I walk you through some of my top picks for the best quotes about Greece. Aside from being known as the forefront of Western Civilization, Greece is also world renowned for its nature and scenery.
Year on year, more than 33 million flock to this beautiful destination only to get a taste of what it feels like to bask in the stunning islands with white and blue covered rooftops. Keep on reading to get inspired.
1. “Greece is too old to die.” – Lito Seizani
2. “Experts in ancient Greek culture say that people back then didn’t see their thoughts as belonging to them. When ancient Greeks had a thought, it occurred to them as a god or goddess giving an order. Apollo was telling them to be brave. Athena was telling them to fall in love. Now people hear a commercial for sour cream potato chips and rush out to buy, but now they call this free will. At least the ancient Greeks were being honest. ” –Chuck Palahniuk
3. “Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks.” -Winston Churchill
4. “It takes a lifetime for someone to discover Greece, but it only takes an instant to fall in love with her.” – Henry Miller
5. “In many ways we are all sons and daughters of ancient Greece.” -Nia Vardalos
6. “Greece was a muse. It inspired creativity in magical ways that I can’t even begin to understand or explain.” -Joe Bonamassa
7. “I know that each one of us travels to love alone, alone to faith and to death. I know it. I’ve tried it. It doesn’t help. Let me come with you.” -Giannis Ritsos
8. “On a summer night, I have sat on the balcony drinking Ouzo, watching the ghosts of Greek Heroes sailing past, listening to the rustle of their sail cloths and the gentle lapping of their oars” -Phil Simpkin
9. “Gradually the magic of the island [Corfu] settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. ” -Gerald Durrell
10. “I want to see the Parthenon by moonlight.” -Daphne Du Maurier
11. “Greece is the most magical place on Earth.” -Kylie Bax
Funny Quotes About Greece
If you ever find yourself in Greece, one of the things I love the most is the inceredible culture. Even though I didn’t speak much Greek, everywhere I went, I was welcomed with open arms and was immediately invited to eat in someone’s home.
Similar to the culture in the Philippines, I find the Greeks to be warm, friendly, welcoming, and easy-going. Their love for the “good life” is why people fall in love with this destination. Here are a few of my favorite funny quotes about Greece.
12. “In a way, it’s nice to know that there are Greek gods out there, because you have somebody to blame when things go wrong.” -Rick Riordan
13. “Greece is a good place to look at the moon, isn’t it?”– Kari Hesthamar
14. “Greece has got something like 1,400 islands. There is so much of Greece you can’t know even if you’re Greek. It’s sprinkled out all around the edge of the Aegean, all over the place. It’s already a secret place wherever you go, even if it’s somewhere huge like Athens or Corinth. The place enchanted me.” -Joanna Lumley
15. “Work Tip: Stand up. Stretch. Take a walk. Go to the airport. Get on a plane. Go to Greece. Never return.”
16. “If I’d been born in ancient Greece, I’d worship Zeus and Aphrodite” – Richard Dawkins
17. “I want to have an ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ experience where I drop off the face of the planet and move to Greece.” -Jennifer Hyman
18. “I fell in love, so deeply in love, and I can’t stop returning.” -Unknown
19. “Greece is more than a country. It is an experience.” -Unknown
We've scoured the internet for the best ALL-AROUND travel shoe and Tropicfeel wins by far. We've taken ours through rivers, jungles, and cities and they're still alive and kickin'. Check them out below.
Nikos Kazantzakis Quotes About Greece
Born in Heraklion, Crete, Nikos Kazantzakis is a famous author and philosopher who wrote Zorba the Greek, Christ Recrucified, Captain Michalis, and The Last Temptation of Christ (among a few others.) Because of his literature, he has many quotes about Greece.
20. “Happy is the man, I thought, who, before dying, has the good fortune to sail the Aegean sea.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
21. “Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality.” -Nikos Kazantzakis
22. “I felt once more how simple and frugal a thing is happiness: a glass of wine, a roast chestnut, a wretched little brazier, the sound of the sea. Nothing else.” -Nikos Kazantzakis
23. “I hope nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.”―
25. “This is true happiness: to have no ambition and to work like a horse as if you had every ambition. To live far from men, not to need them and yet to love them. To have the stars above, the land to your left and the sea to your right and to realize of a sudden that in your heart, life has accomplished its final miracle: it has become a fairy tale.”―
26. “I was happy, I knew that. While experiencing happiness, we have difficulty in being conscious of it. Only when the happiness is past and we look back on it do we suddenly realize – sometimes with astonishment – how happy we had been.” ―
27. “You have your brush, you have your colors, you paint the paradise, then in you go.” ―
Greek Philosophers Quotes
Although their writings date back to ancient times, the concepts of Greek Philosophers are amazingly still influencing modern day society. Known for tackling issues like justice, education, ethics, and politics, these philosophers have so much important life lessons and wisdom to share.
In this section of the article, I share with you the quotes of famous Greek Philosophers.
29. “Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued.” -Socrates
30. “The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” – Socrates
31. “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance” – Socrates
32. “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”-Archimedes
33. “Experience, travel – these are as education in themselves.”-Euripides
35. “For the wise is easy to go anywhere. Because the whole world is home for a good soul.” – Democritus
36. “We must free ourselves of the hope that the sea will ever rest. We must learn to sail in high winds.” -Aristotle Onassis
37. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” -Aristotle
Quotes and Captions About Santorini
Although quite touristy, the white and blue studded rooftops of Santorini will take your breath away. I remember traveling to Santorini when I was a solo backpacker a few years back. I was literally on the world’s most romantic island, surrounded by honeymooners and couples and yet I couldn’t be happier.
The entire place was magical! As soon as you watch you first sunset in the magical rooftops of Oia, you will immediately understand what I meal. In this section, I share with you a few quotes and captions for Instagram about Santorini.
38. “This heart of mine was made to travel.” -Unknown
39. “Do something you’ve never done. Go somewhere you’ve never gone.”
40. “Santorini is calling and I must go.” -Unknown
41. “Off the Santorini cliff on a dark, starless night, I tossed a message in a bottle and love found me washed up on the black lava sand of the Aegean shore. As with my previous loves, volcanic in nature. Almost destructive before it started.” –Melody Lee
42. Santorini Island, Greece
Greeks are like the current,
They push you over and then
Try to suck you in.
43. “The light of Greece opened my eyes, penetrated my pores, expanded my whole being.” -Henry Miller
There you have it! A collection of some of the best quotes about Greece. Hopefully, this article provided you with some travel inspiration.
If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our list of other quotes from different countries.
- Best Quotes about Italy
- Best Quotes about France
- Best Quotes about Paris
- Adventure Quotes
- Travel Quotes
Inspired? Pin It!